Monday, August 10, 2009

What Sucks the Most . . . the Sitting, the Waiting

I really, really hate that misery loves company. At this point in my life I am so not interested in having anyone go through what I am going through. I haven't had a full time job since January. The plus side to that is that I haven't had to go in to anyone's office. I faced eviction in March or April, but was able to overcome that with false hopes of steady employment. Various family members (already going through their whatever) donated money also to me so that I wouldn't have an eviction on my credit report. But it's August and I haven't paid rent since June.




I can't find steady employment. I can't get hired at Target, or Wal-Mart, or Borders or Panera Bread (although all these places are hiring). I have to rely on being a free-lance writer, which is fine but inconsistent. And for some reason I am overqualified to be an administrative assistant. The state of journalism has created an environment where people with more experience are landing the jobs that should go to me (or writers like me). It would be easy to say it's not fair, but I am not worried about being fair. I am worried about not having an money. Literally, none.




I think, today, I have $3 on an unemployment debit card. The last time I received money from unemployment was in May. It's August and I have been holding on to those $3. The worst part about not receiving unemployment is that I receive less than $90 a week. Who can survive on that like in Hyde Park? But here is the best part: Because I was making about $120 a week, I no longer qualified for unemployment. To keep from crying, all I can do is laugh.







All I want from this experience and possible eviction is to not be evicted. I don't want an eviction on my credit. It's already jacked up because I can pay no one. I remember reading this book called "The Broke Diaries" by Angela Nissel a couple of years ago.




I remember Angela's story about how she wanted to buy some ramen noodles, got to the store and realized she was a few pennies short. So what did she do? When the clerk rang up her purchase, she put the money on the counter and ran out. I don't have any money for ramen.



"The Broke Diaries" is completely hilarious and started out as web site. I think I should go re-read it because there is a good message. While Angela was down and broke as a college (not unlike so many), she recovered. She worked for okayplayer.com, wrote a book or two for a major publishing company and created a following. Great rebound!



I am fortunate enough to made it this far without any money. I am grateful that my family was able to look out for me. I appreciate all that they have done.


And at the end of the day, I am never mad. Usually I am puppies and bubbles because another door opens -like today. I think I may have found a way that the eviction won't go on my credit report. I will find out more tomorrow.



Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment